Saturday, October 27, 2012

Quilt Festival

I am entering my Bust Yo Scraps quilt in The Bloggers' Quilt Festival. Thank you Amy for hosting another festival! This quilt represents the hand quilting that I finished at skateparks over the summer. The scraps include charm packs, scraps from other quilts, some old clothes and some thrifted sheets! I did all of the hand quilting sitting under a nice shady tree or at a picnic table while my youngest son skateboarded everyday. (His passion)



The piecing of those blocks took me several months on and off. Since I couldn't decide between yellow and turquoise for the solid color, I used both in alternating blocks.

I backed it with this fabulous thrifted sheet. Since most of my fabrics were smaller pieces, I decided to bind it with the sheet as well.

I used a new binding method, ironing it like this, then sewing it one time by machine catching both the front and the back at the same time. It worked well!


Here it is on the picnic table at the skate park! I hand quilted inside the snowball and square shapes using my big quilt loom that was given to me by my MIL.



Skater dude Jack, loving life!

I think it is the perfect size for a toddler bed for a little girl!

The quilt measures 50" square
It was pieced and machine and hand quilted by me.
Best category: scrap quilt, hand quilted quilt, baby quilt

Now I'm off to decorate a big brownie like a police box for Jack's Doctor Who themed Birthday Party! I'll post Tardis pictures next time.

Kris

10 comments:

  1. Great quilt, and looking forward to the party pics x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! And I love that you made it all by hand. Nice work!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely colourful quilt. I admire you doing all that piecing by hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I pieced it by machine ! The quilting part was by hand.

      Delete
  4. so fresh and fun!
    love a good scrappy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt and skateboarding photos!
    P.S. I saw the Tardis cake - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt! It's fantastic!

    I also love that you're hand-quilting at a skate park. The juxtaposition of the old-school and modern made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete